Second hand clothing is a major source of business. It is said that over 70 percent of total world population wears second hand clothes. The U.S. is the largest exporter, amassing over $1 million in trade. An alarming rate of 68 pounds of clothing is estimated to be thrown away by each American.
Africa is the biggest importer of second hand clothing while winter clothes are chiefly exported to Eastern Europe and South America. Vintage and designer items, on the other hand, go to high-end second hand stores in Japan. Online stores have also caught up with a selection of vintage, designer clothes and a variety of secondhand clothing.
Online Second Hand Clothing Stores
1. The Real Real: This luxury consignment has been taking second-hand clothing to the next level. This is because of the authenticity inspections are done on every designer item before it is displayed for the customers to buy. They have a team of apparel experts that carry out a thorough inspection of every piece.
You will love their offers on every ‘First look members’ which include getting early access to sales and monthly promotions. They will send you a free consignment kit that comes with labels in case you decide to sell your items with them. Also, they handle all the product descriptions, photography, order shipments and authentication which enhance confidentiality and ease to use. The store is one of the best places due to its easy search features.
It is also easy to navigate through the site as you look for the particular department and category that you wish to shop from. All the items are well listed with their prices, offers, and promotions if there are any. All you have to do is click on the items you love, make an order and expect the items to reach you within a short period.
2. eBay: eBay is known as the best online marketplaces for used and secondhand clothes, and it remains at the top for having the impressive inventory for numerous items such as clothing and accessories. Most retailers and wholesalers love listing their items on eBay, and it is, therefore, easy to get any attire that you would want from this online market platform.
You will enjoy shopping at eBay because you can get any kind of attires for everyone in your family including women, men, kids and baby items. The second-hand clothes look as good as new and they are well inspected before being displayed on their site for viewing. eBay offers discounts on some items which help you save on every item you would want to buy. They have men, women, kids and vintage clothing departments.
3. Swap: All the clothes bought on Swap are combined into one shipment regardless of the number of shoppers. The orders are shipped in one business day to reach the buyers on time, and therefore, you will not have to wait long before receiving your parcel. They have the women, kids, men, baby, women’s plus size, and maternity second-hand clothing departments.
4. Tradesy: It is an ideal shopping place for people who love high-quality clothing without getting the shifting to the designers. There is an item for every sporting brand such as Eileen Fischer and club Monaco. There are also designer clothes which come at a throwaway price, and you should never feel bad for deciding to treat yourself with one of those items from time to time.
Every brand has a different page making it easy for you to go directly to the exact designer you would wish to shop for. They feature departments such as dresses tops, activewear, jeans, and even wedding. The store guarantees you 100 percent authenticity on their listed products and thanks to their return policy, you could return items that did not match to your needs and expectations.
5. Oxfam: Oxfam is a well-known organization whose aim is to get rid of extreme poverty in the world. However, most people are not conversant with the organization’s online store where you could buy clothes and accessories at a very affordable price. They sell both men’s, women’s, and children’s clothes. Unlike other stores, their profits towards their goal by sponsoring income generating projects in places affected with extreme poverty around the world.
6. Refashioner: This online store offers both vintage and designer clothes for any lady looking to upgrade their closet on a budget. You will love browsing through the site as each item has a personal story of the individual who pre-owned those items and why they are parting with them. This could make you be more interested in them and might end up convincing you to buy the item. The store includes shoes, clothing, vintage, and bag sales.
7. Grailed: This is among the few online stores that are exclusively dedicated to menswear. They have a variety of options from streetwear to luxury brands like Givenchy and staples like J. Crew. The site features many detailed listings that you will definitely love. They are also ideal for any bargain hunter and any man who wants to look stylish on a budget. Their departments include footwear, outerwear, tops, suits, sneakers, and accessories. Grailed is the marketplace to lookout for highly inspected men’s second-hand clothes and accessories.
8. Poshmark: This site is the best for the shoppers who love changing their closet seasonally. It is a giant clothing swap, and you can spend time online with your friends going through their listings. They have endless listings, and you could decide to trade the clothes or swap them up for a smaller price. Poshmark provides you with a wide range of selection for both your closet and larger boutiques.
Moreover, the website provides purchase protection which guarantees you a refund if you do not receive your order or if your parcel does not match what you ordered. You can shop from Poshmark through its site app available on Google Play or iTunes store. You should never be afraid of making inquiries if the information provided on the listing is not enough or not useful enough.
You can even ask the sellers to show you more photos of the items to ensure that you are sure of what you are about to order. Their departments include men, women, kids, jewelry, accessories, and bags. Their collection ranges from Coach to Forever 21, and you may land on one of these brands’ designers and many others depending on your luck.
9. ThredUP: This is the best online store for anyone who is unsure of his/her style. It is the largest online fashion resale store for women, kids, and youths. It has the best deals on all your favorite clothing brands. The site features a variety of options from total steals to designer threads, but the best thing you will love about them is the personal shopper option whereby, you can shop depending on your style and preferences.
What’s even better, if you are unsure of what you want or you are tired of scrolling down the listings pages, you can let them do it for you. They are experts at selecting the right clothes after observing your needs. They can also advise you on the best and the latest deals giving you suggestions on what might work best on you.
They offer free shipping for items that are over $79. If you purchase clothes worth $150 and above on a given month, you will get free shipping for that particular month. You can easily find any kind of attire from petite, plus size, maternity to kids’ clothes.
10. Asos Marketplace: This online store is rich in vintage pieces and a variety of clothing options. It gathers its items from hundreds of boutiques, and therefore, they have something for everyone. They have the best deals to cover everyone’s favorite brand from shoes, pants, and hoodies not forgetting accessories such as glasses and lenses. Their second-hand clothes include a mix of individual sellers and independent designers. It is an ideal marketplace for anyone who wishes to improve their closet at a budget. You can also gift your friend with a classy outfit from Asos marketplace. They deal with women’s and men’s outfit.
11. Etsy: This store is best for confident shoppers or shoppers with in-depth knowledge of what they are looking for. This is because shopping on this site requires extra effort. It is almost similar to how you would shop in an offline store with stuffed racks, and you have to locate the exact item you need. The platform has some so-so stores and some knockouts that will need you to be super patient to find them.
They include Millay Vintage, EELT, Barnaby Jack and Wear It all of which are most people’s favorite and the individual with the highest level of patience lands on the best deal. The best way to quickly get the best deal is by searching based on what you are specifically looking for or the category of the store you wish to land on. This is based on your style; for example, if you have a southwest style, you should look for a fringe belt or a suede vest.
If you love the feminine style, go for something like vintage or pillbox hats for summer. Once you enter the specific category in the search box, you will have a display of all items under those categories, and you can quickly select what you want from there.
12. SnobSwap: This store is best for designer clothes lovers. It is a giant consignment store that allows you to shop from the comfort of your couch. You will enjoy scrolling down the site’s countless pages as you view the numerous offers that they have for you at a throwaway price. They mostly deal with bags, boots, jackets and designer dresses. You can shop within seconds and receive your comfortable dress or jacket to attend that party in your neighborhood.
The discounts and offers are friendly as well. If you are not sure of where to start, you can check their collection page first and view the clothes based on categories which include ‘Re-boot your wardrobe’ and ‘the best scarves.’ This gives you an easier and more accessible way to land on the best deals.
13. Vinted: This marketplace is the best for anyone who is stranded on how to spend his/her money. From this store, you can get a designer skirt such as Forever 21 going for only 5 dollars and a fabulous designer dress at 90 dollars. They have a variety of options for you from brands such as Calvin Klein, Urban Outfitters to Michael Kors. The best part about this second-hand clothes store is that they have a variety of on-trend pieces so if you are looking to add a recent fad to your closet on a budget; this is the ideal place for you. They also offer the swap option which allows you to get those stylish attires without spending a lot of money.
14. Vestiaire collective: This online store is best for designer clothes lovers. It pulls together a collection of second-hand designer clothes and accessories. Every week, there is a team of stylists and experts that are meant to select a new set of items to place online for customers to browse and choose. The best part is that if you love an item, but you cannot afford it at the moment, Vestiaire collective has a payment option that lets you pay for it in monthly installments, but there are purchases qualifications you must meet to enjoy this offer. The store has the men, women, and kids clothes department.
15. Material world: This is the perfect online store for women looking for pre-owned designer clothes at an affordable price. They have a variety of dresses, shoes, and handbags. Their items are well inspected by experts before listing them online for customers to browse through and purchase. The best part is that shipping and return of purchase are free. Their departments include clothing, accessories, shoes, and bags.
16. Amazon: Amazon is known as the most prominent online store that deals with almost everything and second-hand clothes are not an exception. In fact, most retailers love listing their pre-used clothes on Amazon. This is due to it has a high number of customers and the number of people visiting the site each day. You will find a variety of luxurious and designer second-hand clothes at an affordable price. Amazon website is rich in customer reviews, therefore, you might pass by the site and end up being convinced to purchase an item from them. You will find a variety of options for men, women, and kids wear.