ScreenCrush critic Matt Singer this week came up against one of the most common attacks against film criticism after sharing his thoughts on Jurassic World: “Stop thinking so much! It’s a movie. Just turn off your brain and enjoy it.” Any critic who loves movies and wants movies to be enjoyable knows how frustrating this sentiment is from their readers. On our 13th episode of SOS This Week, we explain why thinking about a movie and enjoying it inherently go hand in hand, even for big, loud, dumb blockbusters.
- Marvel sets Tom Holland as next Spider-Man, Jon Watts to direct solo film
- Filmmaker Marc Forster to make Stanley Kubrick’s The Downslope into a trilogy
- Titanic and Avatar composer James Horner dead after plane crash
- Jason Sudeikis and Alison Brie are just friends in Sleeping With Other People trailer
Main Story: Stop Telling Me To Turn My Brain Off
- Movie theater screens Insidious over Inside Out, kids leave terrified
- Channing Tatum on G.I. Joe: “I f***ing hate that movie