If you haven’t watch the best show on network television, NBC’s Hannibal, you should stop reading. Also, what the hell is wrong with you?
On Wednesday, creator Bryan Fuller revealed some shocking news on how the third season will unfold during a Comic Con panel. Where last we left the serial killer genre’s most notorious cannibal, he disappeared into the rain after leaving a bloodbath in his luscious house. Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) was nearly gutted. Jack Crawford (Lawrence Fishburne) was in a wine cellar with an ice pick in the jugular, and Dr. Alana Bloom (Caroline Dhavernas) was bleeding out after being thrown from a second-story window.
Here are some key points, as reported by The AV Club.
– The season will take place a year after the incidents of season two.
– Abigail Hobbs (Kacey Rohl) will make another appearance, but that’s not to say she didn’t die from excessive blood loss after having her throat cut.
– The FBI will only briefly be involved in the show, which will now focus on Hannibal’s escape and the main people chasing him.
– Who actually survived the bloodbath ending of last season will not be made clear immediately.
– Raul Esparza’s Dr. Chilton did indeed survive his bullet to the face from last season.
– Lady Murasaki, from Hannibal Rising, will make an appearance.
– The main villain of the season will be Francis Dolarhyde, who we’ve seen in previous adaptations Manhunter and Red Dragon.
Dolarhyde’s appearance (reportedly about eight episodes in) implies that Fuller is going ahead with a plan he set in motion a long time ago. He has said in the past that season three would be a loose adaptation of the novel Red Dragon, so I’d imagine we can say goodbye to Freddie Lounds sometime in the next year or so.
Though these spoilers seem enormous, they really only scratch the surface. Given the brilliance of the first two seasons, there’s very little chance it won’t be astonishing.
The full panel can be seen below.