If anyone in Hollywood says that they are retiring or done with a certain something, take it with a grain of salt. Last year after the release of Insidious Chapter 2, James Wan said that he was done with horror movies, but we now know that isn’t happening, thankfully.
Deadline reports that Wan will return to direct the sequel to last year’s massively successfully The Conjuring for a 2016 release. This news comes shortly after reports from this morning that the film had been delayed from its original October 23, 2015 release date with an unknown horror film taking the old slot.
Along with is new directing gig, Wan has made a deal with New Line Cinema to produce affordable genre films under his Atomic Monster production company.
The Conjuring opened huge box office and went on to becoming on of the most successful horror films of all time and the critical acclaim established the film as an almost instant horror classic. Annabelle, a spinoff, recently crossed $150 million at the box office; meaning that The Conjuring is a franchise is here to stay.
Wan’s next film to be released will be Fast & Furious 7 in April 3, 2015.