Real comedy still happens on late night, we can prove it. If you like Conan comedy gold, Fallon friendliness, cutesy Corden, list-making Letterman, kneedy Kimmel, and all the rest, I hope you’ll enjoy this column too.
Last night was David Letterman’s last time ever hosting a late night program. Other late night hosts gave thanks, and Dave looked back at some favorite memories, with music by the Foo Fighters. If you can gauge which other hosts/networks like Dave the most based on who begged the audience to switch over to CBS, it’s Kimmel and Conan. Kimmel didn’t even air a live show last night, and Conan got Patton Oswalt to make enough references to Halloween 3 and The Andromeda Strain that everyone was forced to tune out.
Late Show with David Letterman
- Dave’s final entrance.
- Dave wishes Stephen Colbert all the best. The show will be in excellent hands.
- Our long national nightmare is over.
- What a great bit.
- Best of Dave with kids, some truly classic stuff.
- Kids aren’t sold on David Letterman.
- Dave at Taco Bell, vintage comedy.
- The last top ten list was a celebrity “Top Ten Things I’ve Always Wanted to Say to David Letterman”, with some extra great jokes from Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jim Carrey, and Jerry Seinfeld.
- I don’t know how many more finale jokes Jerry can handle!
- A look at the process of putting on the show, A Day In the Life of Dave.
- Dave’s final monologue.
- And his final thank you/ sign off.
- His son Harry looks so embarrassed. I guess it doesn’t matter who your dad is, at that age you’re mortified.
- And finally, some highlights from all the years, including the Monkey Cam!
- Great show.
- Closing credits.
- Conan gives thanks to Letterman in his witty, sensitive, and intelligent way.
- Conan is probably not wrong about the importance of Dave’s appearance on Conan’s Late Night. Not just for ratings, but for his own confidence as a host and broadcaster.
- Patton Oswalt and Conan on Letterman’s importance to weird brands of comedy everywhere.
- Conan and Patton tell the audience to stop watching Conan and switch to CBS for Letterman’s final appearance. Bedlam ensues.
- Touching tribute, what a legacy.
- Patton Oswalt’s scene, which was cut from Mad Max: Fury Road.
- Bill Kreutzmann from The Grateful Dead on an acid drenched show.
The Late Late Show with James Corden
- Corden and Justin Bieber do Carpool Karaoke to some of Justin’s old hits.
- James pays tribute to Letterman.
- Halle Berry and Jeffrey Dean Morgan talk Letterman.
- Corden’s Top 10 Things We’ll Miss About Dave.
- Letterman tribute “Watermelon Sign-off” from the CBS rooftop.
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Having already paid homage to Letterman in a previous show, Jimmy plays “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader” with Jeff Foxworthy and Pitbull.
- Foxworthy origin story (that’s a funny thing to write).
- David Duchovny was Head Boy at his high school.