Jon-Michael Ecker is a Brazilian American actor known for his work on Netflix’s Narcos and, most recently, Firefly Lane. He has made a career in the entertainment industry for over a decade, starting in telenovelas, like Corazon Valiente, before moving into the English language market. As Ecker becomes more popular, he remains elusive as he keeps his life very private. Here are 20 things you should know about Jon-Michael Ecker.
1. On March 16, 1983, Ecker was born in San Marcos, Texas, to Guy Ecker and an unknown American woman.
There is not a lot known about his birth mother.
2. Ecker’s father is a famous Brazilian actor who has worked in the entertainment industry, specifically in Spanish language projects, for over 30 years.
Some of his work includes the telenovelas Eva Luna, La Mentira, and Heridas de Amor. He was also able to break into the U.S. market acting in NBC’s Las Vegas for two seasons and co-starring in the films Only the Brave and Malevolent.
Chat Box - Go ahead, make my day and ask me questions about movies and TV shows...
3. Earned a degree in Aquatic Biology from the University of California: Santa Barbara.
He loves being outdoors, especially on the water, so it’s no surprise that his degree is in Aquatic Biology. After graduating, he spent five years as a research diver.
4. Although he had a career in diving and loved being on the water, he also had a love for acting, which he learned through his father.
He soon moved to Mexico City to pursue acting.
5. His first acting gig was on the telenovela, Nina de mi Corazon in 2010.
The show was about 17-year-old Andrea, who had to support her family after her father was injured. She ends up working for a law firm disguised as a man after initially being fired for the same job because her boss’s girlfriend didn’t want him working with a woman. Ecker played El Mudra.
6. After playing minor roles in a few other telenovelas, his big break was a starring role on the tv series Popland! in 2011.
The Colombian soap opera Popland! was only on tv for one season on MTV Latin America and was about a small-town girl who gets a job as a photographer. Ecker played Ari Morales.
7. Although he was creating a great career for himself in the Latin world, he wanted to break out in the U.S.
He began working in the English-language market in 2014.
8. He has been in many shows but has only appeared in one film.
That movie was Cantinflas, the untold story of one of Mexico’s comedy film stars, Mario Moreno Cantinflas, played by Oscar Jaenada. Ecker portrayed Marlon Brando.
9. Ecker has been dating model and actress Laura James for a couple of years.
You can see her in many of his social media pictures and vice versa. James is the daughter of actor and producer John James and actress Denise Coward. She is most known for winning the 19th cycle of America’s Next Top Model and for portraying Molly in the tv show S.W.A.T. alongside Shemar Moore. She has also been in The Young and the Restless, American Woman, and the thriller Chronology with William Baldwin.
10. Ecker enjoys spending time outdoors and traveling, including hiking, boating, camping, and swimming.
He was known to take many pictures of his travels with his Harley Davidson as the focus until it was stolen at the end of 2019. He still takes many pictures of his adventures, however, minus the Harley.
11. Ecker is an avid reader.
He shares his current book list and asks for followers’ suggestions on his social media accounts. His most recent book was Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. He is in the series adaptation on Netflix.
12. Guest starred on Netflix’s Narcos, playing the role of the Lion.
Narcos takes a look at the criminal ventures of Columbian drug lord Pablo Escobar and other drug kingpins. He has also guest-starred on shows like Criminal Minds and NCIS: New Orleans.
13. Nia Peeples, an American actress, was his stepmother.
She was married to his father from 1984-1986. Although some reports state Peeples is his mother, his mother is still private.
14. He has two half-siblings through his father, Guy Ecker.
15. Ecker was on the short-lived Gossip Girl: Acapulco, based on the original Gossip Girl television show, where he played Nicolas de la Vega.
The show took place on Acapulco and had the same premise but followed the high society of Mexico.
16. He has a recurring role on Chicago Fire, playing Lt. Greg Grainger.
Chicago Fire follows Chicago firefighters in their personal and professional lives. Some of the show regulars include Jesse Spencer, Taylor Kinney, Christian Stolte, and Eamonn Walker.
17. He was on the television show, Queen of the South, portraying El Guero, drug dealer and love interest of the main character.
Queen of the South follows Teresa Mendoza, played by Alice Braga, who flees Mexico after her drug-runner boyfriend is murdered. She then decides to become the country’s reigning drug smuggler and avenge her boyfriend’s murder. The show is adapted from a telenovela called La Reina del Sur.
18. He is currently on the Netflix show Firefly Lane, which stars Katherine Heigl and Sarah Chalke, who play best friends Tully and Kate.
The series is based on Kristin Hannah’s book of the same name, and Ecker plays Max, Tully’s love interest. Firefly Lane follows Tully and Kate, best friends since their teens in the 1970s, and how their friendship has navigated the good and bad times through their 40s.
19. Ecker has never been married despite some news articles.
The rumor was that he married model Barbara Mori in an intimate, private wedding in 2014 after two years of dating, and then they quickly divorced. This rumor is false. They did not get married, but they did date. He also has been linked to Mexican actress and model Ingrid Martz.
20. He has a very private life.
Not much is known about his private life, besides what he shows on social media. The glimpses he shows include the things he enjoys, film sets, traveling, being on the water, and his girlfriend.
Who is Jon-Michael Ecker?
Jon-Michael Ecker is an actor – primarily starring in television shows in the U.S. and telenovelas. He has been in one movie.
Where is Jon-Michael Ecker from?
Ecker was born in Texas. He later went to school at UC: Santa Barbara before moving to Mexico City to begin his acting career. He currently resides in San Marcos, Texas.
Was actor Jon-Michael Ecker in Narcos?
Yes. He played the character, the Lion.
How old is Jon Ecker?
He is 38 years old.
Who is Jon Ecker married to?
Jon Ecker is not married and has never been married, despite rumors. He is currently dating actress Laura James.
Who is Jon Ecker’s mother?
The information on his mother is unknown. However, his father is Brazilian actor Guy Ecker.
How tall is Jon Ecker?
He is 6′.
Does Jon-Michael Ecker speak Spanish?
Yes. Ecker began his acting career in Mexico City, acting in many telenovelas before moving to the English-speaking market.
How many episodes are in Firefly Lane?
There are ten episodes in the series.
Who is Jon-Michael Ecker’s girlfriend, Laura James?
Laura James is an actress and model. She is most known for winning the 19th circuit of America’s Next Top Model and acting in S.W.A.T. She is also the daughter of actors John James and Denise Coward.
What awards and nominations has Ecker won?
Ecker has not won any awards. He was nominated for an Imagen Award in 2018 for Best Supporting Actor – Television for his role in Queen of the South.
What is Jon-Michael Ecker’s net worth?
According to networthpost.org, Ecker’s net worth for 2021 is $18 million.