Real comedy still happens on late night, we can prove it. If you like Conan comedy gold, Fallon friendliness, cutesy Corden, list-making Letterman, kneedy Kimmel, and all the rest, I hope you’ll enjoy this column too.
Last night on late night, Late Show‘s streak of awesome continued with Tina Fey, Matthew Weiner showed a “sneak peak” of the Mad Men finale to Conan, and Jane Fonda and Diddy kept it real with Jimmy Fallon.
Late Show with David Letterman
- In the monologue, Dave jokes about Big Bird, pin numbers, and Osama bin Laden.
- A replay of the amazing Letterman origin story, “The Dave Letterman Story”.
- “Dehydration or something”.
- Best friend Donnie Osmand.
- Tina Fey is never wearing a dress after the Late Show ends, and she gives Dave the final dress.
- “What, am I gonna put a dress on for Jimmy? That’s creepy, he’s like my brother”.
- “The next time you see me I will be playing charades in a Slanket”.
- Tina Fey has hilarious ideas about the Met Gala, or “Jerk Parade”.
- Dave will be attending his first Met Gala next year.
- “Every jerk from every walk of life is there wearing some stupid thing”.
- Which fashion designer “dealt it”?
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Sean “Diddy” Combs is on the show, promoting a new tequila and fragrance. He gives a pretty funny interview, if only because it’s funny to see Diddy in this context.
- A pretty natural interview. He even humbly explained what “Sean Jean” is, and didn’t just expect everyone to know.
- Speaking of good interviews, Jane Fonda.
- “I got motor in my booty”.
- Jane Fonda is friends with Big Boi from Outkast, Ludacris, and overall loves hip-hop.
- There’s now a DVD re-issue of Jane’s original workout tapes.
- Awesome story about Dolly, Lily, and Jane in 9 to 5. And the origin of that amazing song!
- Matthew Weiner stops by to talk Mad Men, the finale, and even brings a clip!
- Weiner’s kids don’t watch his TV show, and they’re old enough to.
- Semi-Freudian talk about Matthew Weiner’s son Marten Weiner’s role as Glen Bishop on the show.
- Chris Hardwick talks about sneaking onto The Price is Right set and spinning the wheel.
- “Television is all a lie”. The wheel doesn’t make the noise, is very heavy and clunky.
- Hardwick shares his thoughts on the upcoming Star Wars.
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
- Hailee Steinfeld from Pitch Perfect 2 talks about being home schooled, and not going to prom, but the Met Gala instead.
- Joe Jonas tweeted a sonogram picture of a fetus on Hailee’s behalf for April Fools Day.
- The hilarious and awesome Jason Schwartzman makes cookies that only he likes.
- Jason talks about his new movie The Overnight with Adam Scott. There will be nakedness.
- He’ll show you the 101 and the 405.
The Late Late Show with James Corden
- Fire alarm forces The Late Late Show to film on the roof.
- This clip is mostly included for the hilarious YouTube comments of people asking “isn’t this late late? Why is it daytime outside?”