Real comedy still happens on late night, we can prove it. If you like Conan comedy gold, Fallon friendliness, cutesy Corden, list-making Letterman, kneedy Kimmel, and all the rest, I hope you’ll enjoy this column too.
Since Dave retired and the Summer weekly talk-show break eased into Summer talk-show down time, mostly occupied by a few blockbusters, it has been better to write these posts weekly. That way, we can show only the best bits, and cut out most of the filler.
Anyway, last week on late night, John Oliver talks torture, Jurassic World cast did the late night rounds, Kimmel is in full swing with the ABC’s NBA Finals, Jerry Seinfeld stopped by Late Night, and all Late Show with David Letterman clips have vanished from the Internet…for now.
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
- John Oliver talks about torture, Helen Mirren does some lovely readings, and Former FBI agent Jack Clooney shows how interrogation is really done.
- The many faces of Chris Pratt.
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
- Jimmy’s doing it big for ABC’s NBA Finals, shows on the weekend and everything.
- The always funny unnecessary censorship. Seriously, I can’t get enough of this idea in any format.
- Kit Harrington and British journalism legend Jon Snow.
- Jimmy tries to get Chris Pratt to dish on the Indiana Jones rumors.
- 91-year-old fulfills amazing bucket list item by driving through a closed garage door.
- Guillermo at NBA Finals 2015 media day. Per usual, LeBron James doesn’t talk to him.
The Late Late Show with James Corden
- Middleditch is on the show, Improv lessons! Ha, but really, here’s Thomas Middleditch, Ellie Kemper, and Nick Offerman smoking in the studio.
- “Talking Mentalist” with Corden, Kemper, Offerman, and Middleditch.
- Corden does some creative audience work with bit called the “Meming of Life”.
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
- Jon doesn’t prepare well for his guests.
- Colin Quinn on his comedy/race relations coloring book The Coloring Book.
- Nick Offerman on his book Gumption.
Late Night with Seth Meyers
- Jerry Seinfeld stops by to test out Seth’s late night show.
- Jerry made news, for some reason, for expressing his distaste with political correctness.
- Comedian George Wallace talks about his Seinfeld roadtrip and cracks jokes about Buick’s and butter.
- Seth does a pretty funny creative thing, putting all his writers’ so-so suggested sketch ideas about American Pharaoh’s Triple Crown victory into one bit.
Late Show with David Letterman
- Two days ago, CBS pulled all Late Show clips from YouTube. Now that the show is over, the rights to all of that content revert back to Worldwide Pants.
- Worldwide Pants is obviously looking for the best place to host their now-historical content.
- Letterman’s company is not producing either Corden’s Late Late Show or Colbert’s Late Show.
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Denis Leary is on the show, promoting Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll.
- Denis Leary looks like Jane Lynch.