Real comedy still happens on late night, we can prove it. If you like Conan comedy gold, Fallon friendliness, cutesy Corden, list-making Letterman, kneedy Kimmel, and all the rest, I hope you’ll enjoy this column too.
A lot has happened. This is a brief overview of the best and funniest parts from last week.
Over the weekend, John Oliver begged big international brands and sponsors like Coca-Cola, McDonalds, and Visa to force Sepp Blatter to resign. The Late Show with Stephen Colbert announced the band leader, New Orleans legend Jon Batiste. Plus, Jen Kirkman got raw on life and face-eating with Conan, Seth Meyers had some good Jeb Bush jokes and talked well with Alan Cumming, and lots more.
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
- John Oliver again skewers FIFA amid a new international football corruption scandal.
- Of the many FIFA officials indicted this week on corruption, bribery, racketeering, and other charges, US Attorney General Loretta Lynch has not yet indicated whether newly resigned FIFA President Sepp Blatter might also face prosecution.
- If Blatter isn’t prosecuted, he will be the man overseeing “reform” at FIFA and likely handpick his successor. There is still a long way to go to clean up world football and the culture of FIFA.
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
- We get our first taste of Colbert and the Colbeard.
- Tom Selleck mustache noncompete.
- The non-Hitler is a good look.
- The Colbert character, which some feared might die or lessen after his Comedy Central show, is still as irreverent, oddball, and witty as ever. ‘Cause Stephen is Stephen, politics or not.
- Nice lettuce/flow in addition to the beard.
- Intro of Jon Batiste.
- Great choice.
- Jen Kirkman talks about pleasant things, like never having kids and dogs eating faces.
- Don’t get married just to avoid getting eaten by your dog, people!
- Your kids can kill you too.
- Jeff Ross on roasting prisoners. Truly amazing stuff.
Late Night with Seth Meyers
- Seth takes a look at Jeb Bush’s delayed announcement for his candidacy for President.
- Elizabeth Moss talks about the Mad Men finale and Peggy’s great ending.
- Alan Cumming is hosting the Tony’s, but he’s no expert!
- Robert Duvall talks about Marlon Brando reading all his lines off placards during The Godfather.
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
- Jimmy talks to the Brooklyn inventor of the Pizza-topped pizza.
- 50 Cent on hanging out with Meryl Streep.
- NBA mean tweets (they aren’t as good at looking nonplussed as actors, go figure).
The Grace Helbig Show
- On Grace, Adam DeVine and Jack Black stop by and play a game called “We’re Old” to determine who is the oldest.
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
- Jon talks to Steve Buscemi about Park Bench with Steve Buscemi
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon