PaleyFest 2013: Watch the full panel for ‘The Mindy Project’
One of the breakout stars of NBC’s long-running sitcom The Office was Mindy Kaling, whose Kelly Kapoor had been a mainstay at Dunder-Mifflin since the show’s inception. Following the publication of a hit nonfiction book, Kaling received a development deal for her own sitcom at Fox, which made its debut in the fall of 2012 under the name of The Mindy Project, and followed the romantic trials and tribulations of an OB/GYN doctor, portrayed by Kaling. The cast and crew sat down at PaleyFest 2013 to talk about where the show was headed following the recent news that the network had decided to pick it up for a second season.
– The show will dive further into Beverly’s backstory, with Beth Grant now being confirmed as a series regular. Numerous ex-boyfriends will be coming out of the woodwork.
– The audience hasn’t seen the last of Brendan and Duncan yet, as the writers confirmed both Mark and Jay Duplass will be back. Kaling herself expressed a lot of fun in working with Mark Duplass.
– Mindy Kaling also spoke about the Mindy/Danny dynamic on the show, insisting that it was not like the Jim/Pan dynamic on The Office. Messina added that he has no idea where the dynamic is headed, but it’s fun to watch as the relationship between the duo, platonic or otherwise, develops. Ike Barinholtz confirmed even the writers are split on the idea.
– The season 2 pickup doesn’t change the story of season 1; rather, this now means the writers will begin developing outward from where this season is expected to end.
– Danny’s ex-wife will be making an appearance this season, and Chloe Sevigny has been cast in the part.
– The doctors will also be going to Santa Fe for a medical conference, with Mindy Kaling praising the script for the episode.
These, and many other details, were discussed at the panel, which can be seen below. The Mindy Project airs Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m EST on Fox. It will return from its hiatus on March 19th.