While the soundtrack to The Runaways may not be revelational, it, like the film, provides a satisfactory, if somewhat fast-paced, dip into ’70s sleaze-rock. In a film that focuses women trying to make their way in what was essentially a man’s world, it seems a bit odd that only Suzi Quatro gets top billing on the female side of the billing outside of The Runaways themselves, both the original version and the film reincarnation. Still, her
The male dominated music of the period is well-represented with Nick Gilder’s rendition of ‘Roxy Roller’, The Stooges singing ‘I Wanna Be Your Dog’, and the Sex Pistols’ version of “Pretty Vacant”. Overall, it’s David Bowie’s ‘Rebel Rebel’ and MC5’s “It’s A Man’s Man’s Man’s World” that really set the tone for me.
The biggest draw for many to this soundtrack will be the vocals of Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart. For Fanning especially, it takes guts to willingly step into the shoes of a living legend like Cherie Currie and belt out her signature tune, “Cherry Bomb”, but it’s “California Paradise” where she really shines, showcasing the chemistry between Stewart and Fanning and bringing the rocker image believably to life. It’s true that the girls lack some of the rawness of the original band members, but the covers come off far better than one would expect.
It’s inevitable, with two Twilight cast members in the starring roles, that there will be some fan crossover, but those looking for a reprisal of Bella will be highly disappointed. Overall, the movie has its ups and downs, often plagued by pacing issues and an abundance of overused cliches, but it’s bright spot is most probably the soundtrack, which could very well introduce a new, younger audience to the music of the 70’s.
1. Nick Gilder – “Roxy Roller”
2. Suzi Quatro – “The Wild One”
3. MC5 – “It’s A Man’s Man’s Man’s World”
4. David Bowie – “Rebel Rebel”
5. Dakota Fanning – “Cherry Bomb”
6. The Runaway – “Hollywood”
7. Dakota Fanning – “California Paradise”
8. The Runaways – “You Drive Me Wild”
9. Dakota Fanning & Kristen Stewart – “Queens Of Noise”
10. Kristen Stewart & Dakota Fanning – “Dead End Justice”
11. The Stooges – “I Wanna Be Your Dog”
12. The Runaways – “I Wanna Be Where The Boys Are (Live)”
13. Sex Pistols – “Pretty Vacant”
14. Joan Jett – “Don’t Abuse Me”